New Paints



It's been a good week. I completed a big illustration job. It's a book, The Mysterious Benedict Society, that I did illustrations for the cover and chapters. The first book in the series was illustrated by one of my favorite artists: Carson Ellis. The site for the first book can be viewed here. I've been working on it for four months, so it's great to finally have it completed. To celebrate, I bought some sorely needed new paints. I have been relying heavily on a small travel set of watercolors I obtained in Italy 13 years ago. I love them, but alas they are shriveling and crumbling. All of the paintings on this site were created using them. That little set has traveled everywhere with me. I googled the brand, Maimeri, and found a metal set of 24 half pans ( small dried cakes) of watercolor on Blick's Art website. They arrived in the mail today, and I couldn't be happier. Each color pan was individually wrapped in foil. The colors are so yummy. The purity and transparency of the pigments are beautiful. The labels even have little kingfishers on them. Sangue di Drago, has to be the best name for a red. Grazie Italia.

Comments

  1. Hurray for new paints! and CONGRATULATIONS on the new book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I was vehemently disturbed when I discovered the lack of Carson Ellis on the second Benedict Society book, and got worried that maybe the publisher was copping out on ponying up for her art. This blog has done nothing but reassure me that everything is going to be okay. In fact, I'm even left a little warm, a little touched, that you two know each other and both worked on the series. Who's next for the works of Trenton Lee Stewart? Jen Corace, maybe? Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts