Botanical Inspirations





I just finished designing and screenprinting tour posters for the charming band Clare and the Reasons.Inspiration for the image came from the delicate trills of Clare and Geoff Muldaur's music of course, but also visually from old botanical imagery; specifically the Clutius botanicals. These images were created during the Renaissance, and owned by Theodorus Clutius. Their creator remains a mystery as they are unsigned. Used for instructional purposes, they exhibit an astounding attention to detail. For example, the sage is rendered so beautifully that you can almost feel its soft, velvety leaves by just looking at it. The top photo is one of the Clutius images that served as inspiration, the center is the drawing I came up with, and the last image is the final, 4 color screenprint of a plant. Of course my botantical is pure fantasy, as it is a composite of several different plants.

Comments

  1. I heart the fantasy plant! (I think you should bury one of the posters and see what pokes out of the ground come spring).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so ridiculously talented! I love your art Diana :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you dear readers! geninne - seeing your avatar makes me happy, because it reminds me i have the original hanging in my bedroom. lucky me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Lucky ME that you have my birdie hanging in your bedroom...so, so honored. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts